This is http://icarc.org hosted at n952.ooguy.com
ICARC Participation in 2022 Field Day
Here's our planning page for 2022 field day.
Talk in on 146.850 Rereater...
Hickory Hill Location permit acquired
N3FJP     (Field Day Network)   W0JV:31270
Field Day Operating sheet
See www.n3fjp.com for more details.
Field Day Rules
Field Day is always the fourth full weekend of June,
beginning at 1800 UTC (1:00 PM CDT) Saturday
and ending at 2100 UTC (4:00 PM CDT) Sunday.
Field Day 2022 will be held June 26-27, 2022.
The object is to work as many stations as possible on all amateur
bands (excluding the 60, 30, 17, and 12-meter bands)
and in so doing to learn to operate in abnormal situations
with less than optimal conditions.
A premium is placed on developing skills to meet the challenges of
emergency preparedness as well as to acquaint the
general public with the capabilities of Amateur Radio.
Stations may work 24 consecutive hours.
Set-up may not
begin earlier than 1800 UTC (1:00 PM CDT)
Exchange: Stations will exchange their Field Day operating Class and ARRL section.
three-transmitter class A station in Iowa would send "3A IA" on CW or "3 Alpha Iowa" on Phone.
stations send operating class and the term DX (i.e. 2A DX).
A station may be worked only once per
Phone, CW and Digital modes on a single band are counted as separate bands.
Scores are based on the total number of QSO points times the power multiplier plus bonus points.
Phone contacts count one point each and CW and digital contacts count two points.
If all contacts
are made using an output power of 150 watts or less, the power multiplier is two.
- 100 points per transmitter if all transmitting equipment operates on emergency power.
- 100 points for attempting to obtain publicity from the local media.
- 100 points for locating the Field Day operation in a public place (shopping center,
park, school campus, etc).
- 100 points for a Public Information Table at the Field Day site.
- 100 points for origination of a formal Field Day message to the ARRL Section Manager or
Section Emergency Coordinator.
- 10 points for each formal NTS style originated, relayed or received and delivered during
the Field Day period, up to a maximum of 100 points (ten messages).
- 100 points for completing at least one QSO via satellite.
- 100 points for making a minimum of five QSOs using an "alternate" energy source, such as
solar, wind, methane or water, including batteries charged by natural means.
- 100 points for copying the special Field Day bulletin from W1AW.
- Up to 300 points (100 points for each mode) for setting up a demonstration of a
non-traditional mode, such as APRS, ATV, and SSTV.
- 100 points if your Field Day site is visited by an elected government official as the
result of an invitation issued by your group.
- 100 points if your Field Day site is visited by a representative of an agency served by
ARES in your community (Red Cross, Salvation Army, local Emergency Management, law enforcement, etc)
as the result of an invitation issued by your group.
- 100 points if your GOTA (Get On The Air) station completes a minimum of 100 QSOs
ICARC 2022 Field Day Radios:
Looking for a new HF radio? Come to field days and use
one or the ICOM-7300 SDR radios!
KC0JFQ has managed to uncover a pair of dynamic microphones with heavy
So there is a crash project to build a microphone pre-amp
circuit to allow the use of your favorite mic with the
The circuit is rather generic and should work with other radios.
The circuit board is on order, and I
hope to have it arrive in time to build & test before field day.
Boards are here!
Three(3) are populated.
Regulator pinout wrong. Fix applied to board shown on this page.
Microphone preamp doesn't work. Possible installed backwards.
ICARC 2022 Field Day Plans:
(left over from the ICARC meeting of June, 2019)
Current events are leading towards a cancellation
of a group activity this year.
This plans section remains as our ongoing outline.
ICARC has the shelter at Iowa City's Hickory Hill Park
reserved for 2022 Field Day operations.
Hickory Hill Park is in northeast Iowa City,
off of North Dodge Street (Iowa Highway 1),
near the Hy-Vee food store.
If you are heading north on North Dodge,
you will turn right (south) onto Conklin Lane.
Go to the south end of Conklin Lane
and you will be in the Hickory Hill parking lot.
Here is a photo map of the area.
Setup will begin Saturday morning at 8:00 AM CDT sharp! The main task is to put up the antennas.
Rich will bring his
"spud" gun to shoot lines over tree-tops.
The generator will be set up and fueled,
extension cords run,
radios set up and connected and computers and networking cables
will be connected and tested.
We must be finished setting up well before operation begins at 1:00 PM CDT!
We will operate in the portable, independent of power mains, 3-transmitter category (3A) on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters.
The 3 HF radios will operate SSB and CW on all bands beginning at 1:00 PM CDT, and ending 24 hours later.
- Radios will operate SSB unless a CW operator asks to switch to that mode.
CW operators are
responsible for their own keyers and other equipment.
- Operator times will be scheduled, subject to change as operators come and go.
So please show up and operate
as it's convenient for you!
- Coordinator - Mike, KE0QKF
- Submit FD scores to ARRL
- Power Sources - Cordell, WØCJB
- Generator -- Honda 2000 from Aero Rental
- Gasoline, 5-gallon can
- Antennas and other Equipment from storage - Cordell, WØCJB & Emmett, KEØNBH
- Coax cable & guy rope
- Ground rods & grounding wire
- Spud gun (W3ACO)
- Transceivers - Rich, W3ACO & Willy, KCØJFQ
- ICARC TS-50
- ICARC Heathkit SB-1400
- WIlly IC-7200
- WIlly IC-7300
- MIke IC-7300
- JOhn IC-7300
- Computers - Kyle, ???KDØZBI??? & John, ACØXY
- Computers - one per operating position
Supplied by ACØXY, KØCF and KEØQKF
- Software (N1MM+)
- Networking hardware (Router and CAT5e cables)
- Potluck dinner 18:00 - Willy, KCØJFQ
- Catering from Costco -- Chicken legs
- PotLuck for other things
- Participants are encouraged to bring a salad, hot dish or dessert
- Club suppliues paper plates, napkins, cups, etc.
- ICARC Signs - Kyle, ???KDØZBI???
- Bonus Points, etc. - Carl, KCØHZV
- Assign someone to copy W1AW FD message (KØCF volunteered 2019)
- Publicity -
- Press-Citizen, KCRG, and/or other area Radio/TV stations
- Sample press releases are in the Field Day packet from ARRL
- Bring FD to attention of youth groups, potential new hams, others
- Post fliers around town
Last updated Mar 22, 2022 by KØCF